Admit it: you laugh at the thought of man boobs – but not when you’re on the receiving end of it. Man boobs are a real concern among a sizable number of men worldwide today. It’s technically known as gynecomastia, and it is the abnormal enlargement of male breast tissue. While it is commonly occurring in teenage and senior men, it can happen to adult men who are seemingly at the peak of their game. The enlargement usually stems from a hormonal imbalance, but there could be other factors at play.
Man boobs can appear as a mere puffiness in the nipple, or a set of breasts that actually look like a woman’s. Your pectorals do not appear as toned as before. Note, however, that breast enlargement from obesity is different – gynecomastia has excess breast mass, while the latter has excess fat. It’s important to get diagnosed properly if you start to see signs and symptoms.
- Be on the lookout for hormonal changes. – It is normal for young boys to have some breast tissue formation, and this usually resolves on its own within up to two years. However, if you are an adult male who suddenly experienced breast growth, hormone levels could be changing in your system. It will regulate over time, but it may be helpful to know if your diet or lifestyle choices are causing these hormonal imbalances.
- Look for a hard breast lump. – Gynecomastia sometimes appears as a small lump under your nipple, with the makings of an actual breast. Once you identify a lump, get properly tested by your doctor, because it could simply be a benign symptom of gynecomastia or a sign of a rare kind of breast cancer in men.
- Distinguish between breast and fat tissue. – Know the difference between breast tissue and fatty deposits. The former feels and looks firmer, resembling women’s breasts, while the latter resembles breasts but are soft to touch and sometimes sag because of the presence of extra skin.
- Examine your nipples. – One of the reliable indicators of the presence of man boobs is puffy, erect nipples. Gynecomastia patients will likely have swollen ones, and this is readily identifiable even under their shirts. This occurs because of the excess female hormone estrogen in their body, which should be regulated as soon as possible.
- Feel for tenderness in your chest. – Touch your chest and feel for signs of tenderness there. Gynecomastia usually comes with soreness in your nipples and the surrounding tissues. Consult your doctor to discuss pain management, as well as the best available treatment.
Keep reading for more gynecomastia news and reviews on this site!